Monday, May 19, 2008

You can have the chewed-up, vomit-stained carpet, if I can have the Madonna CDs...

"But you know that sooner or later, you're going to be screaming at each other about who is going to get this dish. This $8 dish is going to cost $1,000 in phone calls to the legal firm of That's Yours and This Is Mine. Please, do me a favor for your own good. Put your names in your books right now, before they get mixed up and you don't know whose is whose. Because someday, believe it or not, you'll go 15 rounds over who is going to get this coffee table."


He wasn't kidding. Matt and I are using a SPREADSHEET to whittle away our years together.

How much is this chair worth versus who gets the dining room table? Who gets the fabulous piece of art we bought together at that street fair in Half Moon Bay?
No, really, YOU take the orange bowl your great-aunt gave us at our wedding!

Each of us is trying to aggrandize the stuff the other person is getting. It's becoming almost comical. If not for the tragedy.

Moving in less than 10 days.

And I'm taking the fucking CDs.

11 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Well, it is Madonna . . .

Keep your chin up.

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I'd put up a hellava fight for the cds too!

WrathofDawn said...

Oh, lord! Been there. Just do what you need to to get it over. My ex dragged it out over four (4) FOUR YEARS! Refused to sign anything, refused to accept anything. It was 15 year old applicances, for pete's sake!

But keep the CDs. The good ones, anyway... ;)

Jeff Weeks said...

...but if it avoids a fight, just burn them to your computer. Then scratch them with a nailfile. :)

Anonymous said...

My attorney said, "When he's still fighting over the stuff, it's not over." But when you can let it go, then you know you're onto someplace better.

Liv said...

oh, honey...

it can be really simple. just take everything.

Anonymous said...

Excellent quote. Sorry about your situation...but clinging to the CDs sounds like a good plan, they can still be sold for cash value when you get tired of listening to them, I think.

Anonymous said...

Ugh. That sounds really terrible. Ex and I are fighting some about the books and crap, but we haven't gone as far as spreadsheets ... yet.

OTOH, she came by to pick up the kids last week and asked to use the bathroom and then she swiped some CDs while she was on the way out! I saw as she was walking to the car. So I'm drafting an email now that tells her not to set foot in my house again unless she's specifically invited. This sucks.

Anonymous said...

Oops. That anonymous was me. My Blogger blog has been pulled down, since Ex was trying to use it against me. And the OpenID thing does not seem to actually work for me.

-Scrivener
http://www.scrivenings.net

Adorable Girlfriend said...

Life is complicated, isn't it?!

Just take what feels right and go on.

Anonymous said...

Well written article.